Saturday, February 23, 2019

Portfolio Project Research: Genre

My partner for this project, Bailey, and I are going to be creating a film opening as opposed to a magazine. Thus, we both have engaged in research on film openings and attempted to find information to use on our openings. When I was researching, I looked into many different genres to see what was both realistic for us due to our budget and lack of actors, as well as what was visually interesting. I ruled out genres such as Sci-Fi and Westerns due to their high production cost. This led me to do research on genres such as Horror and Romance due to their utilization of the camera and actors much more than mise-en-scene. This is something we could accomplish since we only have 2 actors and we have cameras that could be placed in such a way to create the atmosphere seen in those Genre's film openings.
  
For example, the movie Scream's opening consisted of many shots to create ambiguity and tension throughout. Some shots could include the popcorn that was constantly seeming about to explode and the way in which what the main female character was looking at outside was hidden. These shots are very inexpensive and actually help the film by not revealing certain aspects to the viewer, keeping the suspense high, as well as costing less money to produce. We could use similar methods in order to keep costs at a minimum, while still having high production value. I will inform Bailey of my ideas derived from the film openings I watched and see his opinion on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment